Thursday, July 15, 2010

P90 - Day 10

Okay, I am making my first attempt at using a workout program and having fun. Since I haven't been updating the blog, this seemed a perfect place to post my progress.

I purchased the BeachBody (Tony Horton) P90 90-day workout program. Interestingly, I purchased the P90X but after further investigation found out I physically can't do the program as a beginner. I will have to work my way into it. "What?", you say! Yeah, yeah....I can be somewhat of a couch potato. My work days are pretty intense and there is little "sitting" time. I am on my feet about 8-10 hours a day so when I'm home I do sit a lot.

I started a low carb diet the middle of May 2010 with a beginning weight of 234.5lbs. What a fat boy! I was physically feeling bad, tired, back hurting & knees aching. Since starting I've been mostly eating under 40 grams of carbs a day. It really does make a difference. I'm not as hungry and I don't eat as much volume. But I do miss the bread and sweets. Do I cheat? Of course, every once in a while (but I did turn down brownies at J&M's).

Sue and I setup a home gym in the basement complete with TV, DVD, yoga mat, weights, chair, punching bag (not for P90) and dehumidifier. This is the perfect environment for me to only be an embarrasment to myself while I work out.

Back to the P90! I am on Day 10. The program consists of two sections; Cardio and Sculpting. Since there are 4 phases you'd think there are 4 videos? NO! There are two. Phase 1-2 is one video and 3-4 is the second. So it seems the workouts are going to get monotonous. I am to switch to the 3-4 video once I feel comfortable that I'm a level 2 guru. That'll probably be 45-50 days into this program.

Level 1-2 seems harmless enough. However, when I'm done........wow......what a workout. I lag far behind the "gym rats" on the video so I am definately a Level ONE. There are a lot of stretches and actual Yoga moves that I can't do...yet. However, after 10 days I can actually stand with my feet wide of sholder and bend over and put my fingertips on the floor. That is a milestone for me.

Status: After 10 days of excercise and dieting (low carb) I am now at 220.5 lbs.

I'll keep the updates coming. The goal is 205 which is certainly obtainable with the program. At 205 I should be a running weight so I can begin the next phase.

-Randy

Oh yes.....no before and after pictures. Don't worry!

2 comments:

Melissa Boyd said...

Just randomly found this on a blog search...good for you! My husband and I are starting P90 next week. he wanted P90x. but I talked him out of it LOL Best of luck!

William Haun said...

Heidi and I have just started the 100 Pushups Challenge. Best of luck on your workout program!